Guadalupe Victoria Chapter NSDAR

Our History

Permanent chapter meeting placeOrganization of the Guadalupe Victoria Chapter, National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, began on 23 February 1934, with Mrs. J. W. Stevenson as the organizing regent. The charter was granted and signed 14 September 1936, with the new chapter’s name being derived from the name of Empresario Martin De Leon’s Mexican colonial grant, Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de Jesus y Victoria.

The Guadalupe Victoria Chapter acquired a permanent home in 1959, when Genevieve Power Stevenson deeded her home to the three historic and patriotic organizations of which she was a member. The home and property furnishes room for each group.

Guadalupe Victoria Chapter has been involved in many projects on the local, state, and national levels in the fields of historic preservation, education, and patriotic endeavor. Some of these programs include the American History Essay Contest for area school students, the DAR Good Citizen Award and Scholarship Essay Contest for area high school seniors, Service for Veterans, and Literacy Promotion programs. In addition to observing Constitution Week, the chapter donates books and magazines to libraries, donates Flags of the United States of America, and supports the DAR supported schools.

Granite monumentThe chapter participates in flag ceremonies, places wreaths, and participates in other patriotic events. The chapter also recognizes local citizens for their contributions to the community and encourages the conservation of our natural resources. Each year a scholarship is awarded to a deserving student at Victoria College and the DAR Bronze Medal and an ROTC Scholarship are awarded to outstanding students in the Air Force Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps program at Memorial High School in Victoria.

Guadalupe Victoria Chapter has taken part in celebrations of freedom and commemorative events in Victoria for many years, including the placing of a granite monument on the Northeast corner of De Leon Square in 1936 to mark the original name of Main Street, "La Calle de los Diez Amigos" (The Street of the Ten Friends).