BRIEF HISTORY OF THE
MARY MARTIN ELMORE SCOTT CHAPTER
DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
The chapter was organized March 16, 1916, at 1428 Cedar Street (now
Eleventh Street), the childhood home of Mae Wynne McFarland who was
the Organizing Regent. Present at this meeting were: Mrs. T. C. Gibbs,
Mrs. W. S. Gibbs, Mrs. Mary Elmore Hill, Mrs. W. C. Jones, Mrs. M. E.
Curtis, Miss Lila Hill, Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Lewis, Mrs. Annie Hearn
Hill Wood, and Mrs. McFarland. Of the sixteen charter members, six
were descendants of Mary Martin Elmore Scott, the name chosen for this
chapter. On April 24, 1916, the new chapter was given the National
Number 6,076-TX. Membership began to grow and the ladies began to
practice the objects of the National Society: historical, educational,
In 1918, this chapter
made fifty dozen handkerchiefs, many dozen knitted sweaters, mufflers
and socks and sent to soldiers of World War I. The chapter purchased
$650.00 in Liberty Bonds. This was quite a feat for such a young
chapter. But this was only the beginning of things to come. This
chapter has met the honor roll, given scholarships, presented
Americanism Medals, Good Citizen Pins and Certificates, Medals of
Honor, ROTC Medals, participated in Veteran activities, and given
Awards to Teachers of American History. The chapter observes
Constitution Week, Arbor Day, celebrated its Silver Anniversary,
Golden Anniversary, 75th Birthday and in 2006, its 90th
Birthday. Members attend Dogwood Regentís Council, Fall Forum, State
Conference, and Continental Congress. Flags have been presented to
schools and public buildings and books have been donated to libraries.
Families of deceased members have donated individual genealogical
research materials to the Johnnie Jo Sowell Dickenson Genealogy Room
at the Huntsville Public Library.
The chapter gives two scholarships: the Mary Bush Smither, established
in 1969, to be given to a Walker County Girl attending Sam Houston
State University; and the Virginia Strickland Krieg, established in
1998, given to a high school graduating senior.
This chapter has grown from
the 16 members to a membership of 124.The chapter has been led by 34
former regents, many of the regents serving more than one term. We
have had one member who served at Texas State Regent: Mrs. Mae Wynne
McFarland, 1920-1922. Many members have served as State Chairman.
Elmore Scott Chapter continues to serve God, Home and Country.
Jo Sowell Dickenson - 2006