Historic Markers, Dedications and Presentations

1916
A flag pole was erected at City Hall in Temple, Texas. The pole and brass marker were moved to their present location in 1928 and rededicated with a special ceremony in 1929.

1935
A marker was placed at the site of Salado College on June 14, 1935. The granite marker with brass plaque weighs 2000 pounds. It was relocated to the new entrance to College Hill and rededicated in 1989.

1954
A brass plaque was placed at the foot of a large oak tree at the City Federation of Women's Club building in Temple, Texas.

2004
A Stephen F. Austin Live Oak was planted at the Robert E. Lee Museum on Fort Ringgold, Rio Grande City, Texas to honor DAR member Mrs. Howard L. Bass for community service. (In conjunction with the Lady Washington Chapter of Houston, Texas)

2006
A marker was placed at Resthaven Cemetery to honor all veterans buried in the cemetery.

2013
A brick was purchased at the historic, nonprofit Hillcrest Cemetery in Temple by the Betty Martin Chapter. The funds are to be used for renovation and preservation.

2014
A framed reproduction of a Betsy Ross flag was presented to Texas Daughter, Lynn Forney Young, President General, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, at the Texas State Conference in Dallas, Texas. The flag was hand sewn by the members of the Betty Martin Chapter. The stars were embroidered by Betty Martin Chapter past regents, Lynn Forney Young, President General, Pamela Wright, Texas State Regent, and Judith Ann Henneberry Smith, a descendent of Betty Martin.

Past Betty Martin chapter regents who embroidered stars for the Betsy Ross Flag presented to Lynn Forney Young, President General, NSDAR

2017

Braille Flag

On May 19, 2017 a Bronze Braille Flag was presented to the Blind Rehab Unit at the Veterans Hospital in Waco, TX by the Betty Martin Chapter NSDAR, the Elizabeth Gordon Bradley Chapter NSDAR, the Henry Downs Chapter NSDAR the Priscilla Alden Society NSCAR and the Alexander Breckenridge Society NSCAR.

Texas State Womens’ University First Ladies of Texas Collection
A wedding dress worn by Martha Melissa Evans was donated to TSWU. It was donated by Mrs. John B. Daniel of the Betty Martin Chapter. A second dress was donated by Mrs. Miriam Amanda Wallace Ferguson through the Betty Martin Chapter. Mrs. Ferguson, known as “Ma Ferguson”, was the first woman Governor of Texas 1925-27 and 1933-35, and the second woman in the United States to be elected Governor. The dress she donated was the gown she wore to her Inaugural Ball when she was elected Governor.  
The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
For questions about this website, please contact the webmaster.
Betty Martin News

We are an official Commemorative Partner, honoring Vietnam veterans.