At its inception, the
Libertad Chapter was
called the Sophia Lee Harrison Chapter. Mrs. E. W. Pickett, Sr., was
the organizing regent.
name was changed to Libertad Chapter on February 10, 1950.
Contact us for
information about meetings or membership.
The Partlow House
2131 Grand Avenue
Liberty, Texas 77575
The Partlow House was built in 1860 by Judge C.L.
Cleveland, a Kentucky native. It combines both unusual architectural style
and a rich family history. It
became a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1963.
For the century that they owned the house, the Partlow family
members were influential citizens in Liberty and in Texas. W.S. Partlow was a native of Greenwood, SC, and
held many offices in local civic organizations. He was county
treasurer. The Partlows’
daughter, Nannie Partlow Daniel, was the mother of Texas Governor, Price
Daniel, and Guam Governor, Bill Daniel. Miss Miriam Partlow, another daughter and the last owner of
the house, was
not only active in the NSDAR and civic affairs, but was also a lifelong music
teacher and active historian of Liberty County.
Miss Partlow, known affectionately as “Mim,” bequeathed the
house to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission in 1981. In 1984, the Libertad Chapter, NSDAR, assumed administration
of the house, which is open by appointment to the public as a house