The Fort Bend Chapter, founded in Richmond, takes its name from the
Gulf Coast County in which it was organized. Here in 1821, on a bend of
the Brazos River, a very small group of Stephen F. Austin’s “original
300” settlers erected a fort.
The settlement was known as the Fort Settlement, or Fort Bend, until 16 years later when the town of Richmond was planned. The county created the town name which was chosen by the engineers from Richmond, England. When the Fort Bend Chapter was organized on December 20, 1946, by Mrs. Mason (Grace Lynn) Briscoe, one-quarter of the 43 original members were related to the organizing regent. Mrs. Briscoe served the chapter with unstinting devotion and capability until her death on January 1, 1971. The chapter received its charter from the National Society on December 16, 1947.
The three objectives of the DAR are: promote historic preservation, education, and patriotism. A review of chapter records for the past years reveals how diligently the Fort Bend Chapter has participated in the broad scope of DAR activities. The chapter’s name has repeatedly appeared on the national Honor Roll.
Reference: History of the Texas Society National Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1975.