Colonel George Moffett Chapter

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution

Beaumont, Texas | Organized February 1906

blue line
Home
Chapter History
Chapter Objectives
Chapter Officers
Chapter Patriots
Scholarships
Naturalization Ceremonies
Temple to the Brave
Genealogy Days
Reasons to Join
TXDAR
NSDAR
Contact Us

 

Temple to the Brave

A Brief History

The Temple to the Brave started as a project of the Colonel George Moffett Chapter, NSDAR in 1931, when construction began. The chapter formed a committee and called on the entire City of Beaumont for help. Money to build the Temple came from individual citizens, business firms, and school children. Enough money was raised in spite of the terrible economic times the country was going through in the Great Depression.

Located in Pipkin Park in Beaumont, Texas, the Temple was dedicated in 1932, during the term of past regent, Lelia Tatum Pipkin, as a memorial to Texas soldiers of World War I. It was built of granite stone from Colorado and civic groups donated the stained glass windows. From its dedication on October 19, 1932, until the early 1980s, the Temple was opened on patriotic holidays. In 1988, the Temple was opened as a museum under the direction of the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Benefit Association and the Jefferson County Historical Commission. Displays included relics, artifacts, paintings, and uniforms of past wars in which Texas soldiers served.

On May 10, 2003, a DAR marker, identifying the Temple as a DAR Historical Monument, was placed during the term of past regent, Carleen Reese Faucett to “honor the edifice, built to pay tribute to all Texans who have served in all wars.”

The passage of time and Hurricane Rita were not kind to the Temple. Noticing the deteriorating condition of the Temple, the chapter voted to make the restoration of the Temple a Centennial project during the term of past regent, Betty Terrell Owens. With the hard work of the committee chaired by Ida McFaddin Pyle and the cooperation of the City of Beaumont and Major Dennis White, the volunteer caretaker for many years, the restoration was completed in 2007. Committee members, Linda Cansler, Kate Jabbia, Betty Owens, Ware Petznick, June Poole, and Ninette Teel, and the entire chapter can be proud of this project. A seventy-fifth anniversary rededication of the Temple was held November 11, 2007, to rededicate it as a memorial to American military from all of America’s wars.

Colonel George Moffett Chapter continues to maintain the Temple (with the City of Beaumont) and opens it on patriotic holidays.


Compiled from chapter archives and papers in the Temple to the Brave by past chapter regent, Linda Cheryl Cansler.


The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
For questions about this website, please contact the webmaster.
Last updated on
August 27, 2017